Thursday, June 19, 2014

Homemade Fresh Stuffed Mushrooms, Yes Please!

Mushrooms are definitely one of my favorite vegetables to eat. Before I ever even tried a mushroom, I wrinkled my nose at, claiming that I simply didn't like it but I had never tried one. When I was out one night with my grandfather, my step-grandmother told me to go ahead and try one. Apprehensive, grandpa assured me that if I didn't like it, I could spit it out. With nothing to lose, I decided to give the crazy fungus a try and I...liked it, a lot. It wasn't until I was with my mother-in-law that my love for mushrooms grew to a new level, stuffed. Trying to figure out what to eat around the holidays is already difficult enough but having the supplies, well that's even trickier. As we dashed to the grocery store down the road, we picked up some essential supplies and began making our New Years Eve snacks. 


As we prepared the stuffed mushrooms caps, the lovely aroma of spices and vegetables simmering in the pan made my mouth water. It seemed like hours until I could sink my teeth into what would become my new obsession. Setting the oven and stuffing the caps, I waited patiently for the oven to beep once it hit optimal temperature. Placing the stuffed mushroom caps inside, I was becoming more impatient as the seconds slowly dipped. It seemed that I was almost in a stupor until the oven timer expired and echoed through the house. Inside was pure perfection and mouth-watering goodness. Once they cooled, I literally could not stop from shoving them into my face, well at least until my stomach filled to capacity. The best part about stuffed mushrooms is you can store leftovers in the fridge and if you want a little midnight snack you can pull some out and throw them in the microwave - good as new!


Betty Crocker's Mushrooms Royale
1 lb medium mushrooms

3 tb butter
1/4 c finely chopped green pepper (I use red pepper for a sweeter flavor)
1/4 c finely chopped onion
1 1/2 c soft bread crumbs (I use fresh chopped bread)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350
Wash, trim, and thoroughly dry mushrooms
Remove stems
Finely chop stems to measure 1/3 c
Melt 3 tb butter
Cook and stir mushroom stems, peppers, and onion until soft (about 5 min)
Remove from heat
Stir in remaining ingredients (except for butter)
Stuff mushrooms with mixture
Place mushrooms on a cookie sheet with parchment paper
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes

*For more stuffing, double the recipe (but not the butter)


Original Source: Good Old Betty


No comments:

Post a Comment